International Animal Rescue (IAR) takes your privacy extremely seriously. We are committed to protecting your privacy and will only use the information that we collect about you lawfully. This policy is intended to give you an understanding of how and why we use the information you give us.
Who we are
International Animal Rescue (the data controller) is committed to protecting your personal data, whether you are a supporter, volunteer, or shopper. Please read this policy carefully to understand how we collect, use and store your personal data.
International Animal Rescue is incorporated in England and Wales as a ‘not for profit’ company, limited by guarantee (Company No. 06035040). We are a registered charity in England and Wales (Charity No. 1118277). The processing of your personal data is carried out by International Animal Rescue, which is registered with the Office of the Information Commissioner.
International Animal Rescue
EMAIL: [email protected]
TELEPHONE: 01825 767688 (or 0044 1825 767688 if you are outside the UK)
When and how do we collect information?
We may collect information about you whenever you interact with us in the following ways:
- when you contact us regarding our campaigns or activities;
- when you register as a supporter;
- when you engage with our social media;
- when you make or pledge to make a donation to us (which may be financial, non-financial or in-kind), or when you respond to our mailings, appeals, petitions or competitions);
- when you contact us in relation to becoming a volunteer or volunteer for us in or outside the UK;
- when you contact us in relation to becoming a fundraiser or fundraise for us, take part in or attend an event (e.g. Carols for the Animals);
- when you purchase something from our shop;
- when you apply for a job with us or become an employee or provide services via an agency or provide consultancy services directly to us;
- when you become a virtual adopter;
- when you request a copy of our newsletter, legacy booklet or annual review;
- when you register a website account.
In addition, we collect aggregated or anonymous information about the services you use and how you use them, such as when you watch our videos on YouTube, visit our website or view and interact with our ads and content.
We may also receive information about you from third parties: for example, when you've given them permission to share your information or when we gather information from publicly available sources as explained below.
Information we receive from other sources
To provide our supporters with the best service, where possible, we may use publicly available sources to keep your records up to date (e.g. using the Post Office’s National Change of Address database and postcode validation) and check against deceased records.
What information do we collect?
When you interact with us, we may collect:
- names, addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers and other contact information (including details of your social media accounts /profiles);
- financial information such as bank account details (if you want to set up a direct debit with us)
- financial information such as debit and credit card details, which we do not store on our systems;
- information you enter onto our website;
- records of correspondence with us, if you have contacted us;
- details of your visit to our website, including your IP address.
- details of any transactions you carry out with us, such as; donations, adoptions, shop purchases, pledges, events, fundraising activity.
How do we use your information?
IAR will not rent, swap or sell your personal information to other organisations for them to use in their own marketing activities.
IAR will only process your personal information if we have:
- asked you and we have a record of your recent consent for us to do so;
- a ‘legitimate interest’ to do so in order to support our charitable purposes – please see below for further details;
- a contract with you that we can only fulfil by using your personal information, e.g. to send you an item that you have requested;
- a legal obligation to use or disclose information about you, e.g. we are required by law to keep records of gifts that are given to us with Gift Aid for 6 years.
IAR may use your information in a number of ways and for a number of purposes including:
- to provide you with information, products or services that you have requested from us or that we feel may be of interest to you where you have consented to being contacted;
- to provide you with information about our work or our activities where you have agreed to receive communications from us;
- to invite you to participate in interactive features on our website;
- to process donations that we receive from you;
- to fundraise in accordance with our internal policies and procedures;
- for administrative purposes (for example, we may contact you regarding an event for which you have registered, to provide information requested from us through Supporter Care or with a query regarding a donation you may have made to us);
- for internal record keeping relating to any donations, feedback or complaints;
- to invite you to participate in voluntary surveys or research;
- to contact you where you have been identified as a contact person for an organisation, such as a school or company (if we obtain your contact details in this way, we will only use them to contact you in your capacity as a representative of that organisation);
- to analyse and improve the operation of our website;
- to analyse the personal information we collect about you and use publicly available information to better understand your interests, preferences and level of potential donations so that we can contact you in the most appropriate way and to ensure that we do not send you unwanted communications;
- to improve the quality and accuracy of the information you have provided such as your contact details by checking against external data lists. This helps us ensure our records are fully up-to-date and avoids misdirecting communications;
- to tailor advertising that is presented to you on the Internet according to your interests, preferences and other characteristics;
- to direct advertisements and other communications to other people who may have similar interests or other characteristics to yours;
- we may participate in Facebook’s ‘Custom Audience’ programme which enables us to display adverts to our existing supporters when they visit Facebook. We provide personal information such as your email address to Facebook to enable them to determine if you are a registered account holder with Facebook. Our adverts may then appear when you access Facebook and on your Facebook feed. Your data is sent in an encrypted format that is deleted by Facebook if it does not match with a Facebook account. For more information see: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/744354708981227 and Facebook’s Data Policy at: https://en-gb.facebook.com/policy.php.
- To assess your personal information for the purposes of credit risk reduction or fraud prevention; and where it is required or authorised by law.
How long we keep your information
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, and meet any legal or regulatory requirement. This is so that we can provide the services, products or information you have requested, to administer your relationship with us, to ensure we don’t communicate with you if you’ve asked us not to and to comply with the law.
Unless you tell us not to, we consider that you are content for us to process (keep and use) your personal information for a period of 10 years from your last active interaction with International Animal Rescue (for example making a gift or sending in an enquiry). This is not the length of time that we will continue to contact you – that could be a shorter period of time.
We may keep information relating to gifts in wills indefinitely so that we can administer these gifts and communicate appropriately with the families of those leaving International Animal Rescue a legacy. This also helps us learn more about the reasons people leave us a gift in their will.
We may contact you for marketing purposes by email, phone or text message if you have agreed to be contacted in this manner.
In most circumstances we will seek consent to process your data at the point we collect it; however, in some cases we may process data without consent where we are legally allowed to do so, and where we have legitimate reasons for doing so (e.g. to process a donation you have made), provided we respect your legal rights.
If we identify that there is a legitimate interest, as defined by the General Data Protection Regulation, we may use your personal information to contact you in order to fulfil this legitimate interest. This will always be balanced against your individual interests, rights and freedoms. We may contact you by post to provide information about IAR and ways in which you can help us except where you tell us that you do not want us to, which you can do at any time by contacting us.
We may also send you service communications via email or post, for example where you place an order for goods or services on our website.
You can update or change any of your marketing preferences at any time (including telling us that you don't want us to contact you for marketing purposes) by:
- Changing your communication preferences in your account on our website;
- Indicating that you do not wish to receive our marketing emails by clicking the 'unsubscribe' link at the end of our marketing emails;
- Contacting us by email at [email protected], or by telephone at 01825 767688 (or 00 44 1825 767688 if you are calling from outside the UK), or by writing to us at: International Animal Rescue, Regency Close, Uckfield, East Sussex, TN22 1DS
If you request to receive no further contact from us, we will keep some basic information in order to avoid sending unwanted materials in the future. If we did not retain this information then this could result in us contacting you again as we would no longer have a record of your request not to be contacted. If you would rather we didn’t keep any of your details – please contact us directly.
Can you gain access to your personal information?
You may request a copy of the personal information that International Animal Rescue holds relating to you by writing to us at: International Animal Rescue, Regency Close, Uckfield, East Sussex, TN22 1DS; or by email: [email protected]; or by telephone at 01825 767688 (or 00 44 1825 767688 if you are calling from outside the UK).
We use service providers (such as fundraising agencies, direct mailing companies, mobile marketing providers and software platform providers) to help us provide you with our services.
We enter into contracts with all of these service providers that require them to comply with data protection laws and to ensure that they have appropriate controls in place to protect the security of your information.
We may give relevant persons within these service providers access to your personal information, but only to allow them to perform specific services for us.
How we protect your personal information
We take appropriate physical, electronic and managerial measures to ensure that we keep your information secure, accurate and up to date, and we only keep it as long as is reasonable and necessary.
Although we use appropriate security measures once we have received your personal information, the transmission of information over the internet is never completely secure. We do our best to protect personal information, but we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to our website, so any transmission is at the user's own risk. However, any payment card details (such as credit or debit cards) we receive on our website are passed securely to our payment processing provider according to the Payment Card Industry Security Standards.
Your credit or debit card information
If you use your credit or debit card to donate to us, buy something or make a booking online, we pass your card details securely to our payment processing partner (PayPal) as part of the payment process. We do this in accordance with the Payment Card Industry Security Standard, and do not store the card details on any of our own systems.
With regards to UK Direct Debit payments, we hold your bank account details on our secured systems for as long as you direct debit is active. To facilitate the processing of UK Direct Debits with the banking BACS system, we use a third-party bureau service provider – as described above, we ensure that all service providers also comply with the European data protection regulations.
When you register with us, you are stating that you are 18 years of age or over, or are a minor acting with parental consent. You agree that any information you provide to us about yourself upon registration or at any time is true.
We cannot be held responsible for the privacy of data collected by websites not owned or managed by International Animal Rescue, including those linked through our website.
Emails are not always secure, and they may be intercepted or changed after they have been sent. International Animal Rescue cannot accept liability if this happens. The contents of emails reflect the author's views and are not necessarily the views of International Animal Rescue.
Please do not send International Animal Rescue any sensitive or financial data by email.
The information in emails is confidential; if you have received an email in error, please notify us immediately and delete it without copying, using or sharing its contents with anyone.
Making a complaint
We welcome feedback as it helps us to develop as a charity and gives us the valuable opportunity to monitor and improve our services. We set ourselves a high standard of customer care and if this is not met we want to hear about it.
If you would like to make a complaint or discuss any questions or problems, please contact us at:
International Animal Rescue
Or email: [email protected]
Or telephone: 01825 767688 (or 0044 1825 767688 if you are outside the UK)
Job and volunteer applicants and current and former employees
If you apply to work at International Animal Rescue, we will only use the information you give us to process your application and to monitor recruitment statistics. If we want to disclose information to someone outside International Animal Rescue - for example, if we need a reference or plan to use an external supplier to run background checks - we will make sure we tell you beforehand, unless we are required to disclose this information by law.
When recruiting for a post based in another country, International Animal Rescue will sometimes need to transfer your personal information to that country to progress the recruitment process.
If you are unsuccessful in your job application, we will hold your personal information for 6 months after we've finished recruiting for the post you applied for. After this date we will destroy or delete your information.
If you begin employment with us, we will put together a file about your employment. We keep the information in this file secure, and will only use it for matters that apply directly to your employment. We may store banking information on our systems for the purpose of making salary payments.
Once you stop working for us, we will keep this file according to legal requirements and our record retention guidelines.
You can contact us to find out more about this.
If you apply for a job or volunteering opportunity we will also collect information so we can assess your suitability for the role.