Work with us
Project / FP&A Accountant
Salary: £35k - £40k (depending on experience)
Reporting to: Executive Director
Location: Uckfield, East Sussex (** please see note)
Status: Full-Time Permanent
Closing Date: January 10, 2021
International Animal Rescue (IAR) is an award winning charity based in Uckfield, East Sussex, committed to animal welfare and conservation. At IAR we do exactly what our name says: we save animals from suffering around the world. We rescue and rehabilitate orangutans in Indonesia, release bears in Armenia from caged captivity, treat injured howler monkeys in Costa Rica and care for ex-dancing bears in India - and so much more. Whenever we can, we release rescued animals back into the wild; and when that's not possible, we give them a safe haven for life.
We are expanding our team so that we can ensure that our projects operate efficiently and that our fundraising team have access to the best information.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who is inspired and motivated by the work of IAR. This is a role for a finance professional who is passionate about animal welfare and conservation. We are committed to welcoming people from the widest possible diversity of background, culture and experience.
** During the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID 19) pandemic, our office in Uckfield has been closed to all but essential staff and the team has been home-working. As restrictions lift in 2021, we would expect to see a return to ‘normal’ working at some point during the year. The Charity has not finalised the arrangements; however, we would expect there to be a balance between office and home working; as such, physical office attendance for this role is expected to be 2-3 days per week (TBC).
Please email CV and covering letter to [email protected] Please put FP&A Accountant as the email subject.
Closing Date for applications: January 10, 2021
First Interviews: Week Commencing January 11, 2021
Second Interviews: Week Commencing January 18, 2021
Final Decision Expected: January 22, 2021
Due to the volume of applications it may not be possible to respond or provide feedback to all applicants.
Job Description – Role and Responsibilities:
You will be a professionally qualified accountant with demonstrable experience of working at an equivalent level in Management, FP&A and/or Project Accounting, ideally within a public sector or charity setting. Through this experience we would expect you to have gained a high level of skill in the use of spreadsheets and financial modelling and to have built strong relationships with budget holders, working in partnership with the business to achieve results. Strong communications skills and a proactive, organised approach to work will be essential.
The role may involve international travel from time to time (when conditions permit).
- Detailed understanding of Project Budgets and Accounting
- Robust understanding of Restricted Funds for the various projects
- Create and implement budget timetable for various IAR entities, partners and affiliates
- Support Project Finance Teams with preparing budgets and performance reporting
- Financial modelling for new and existing projects to ensure they are sustainably funded into the future
- Work collaboratively with the UK Financial Controller
- Provide training to Project Finance teams on managing budgets effectively
- Ensure that project and donor reporting is timely, meaningful and accurate
- Support the Project Execs to take timely action to address deviations from budget
- Support the external audit for all entities
- Where necessary facilitate internal audit protocols
- Provide guidance on finance processes and procedures
- Support the fundraising team with analysis of data, developing KPIs, understanding trends and recommending strategies for improving supporter engagement.
- Act as a commercial business partner to the wider organisation
- Support IT/database strategy
- Support GDPR compliance
Abilities & Competencies:
- CCAB qualified (ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW or equivalent)
- Relevant experience of financial analysis & budgetary controls
- Highly computer literate with advanced knowledge of MS Office, computerised accounts systems and database manipulation.
- Strong analytical skills
- Proactive, solution focussed individual
- Strong presenting and interpersonal skills
- Meticulous, attention to detail
- Pro-active and self-motivated as well as being able to work well as part of a team
- Able to develop and maintain excellent relationships with supporters
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- A creative thinker who is able to add value to a small team
- Language skills (Spanish or Bahasa Indonesian) is favourable
- A passion for animal welfare, conservation and protection of the environment
- Flexible approach and adaptable to working in a small cross-functional team
- Willing and able to carry out other tasks for IAR as and when required.
- Ability to prioritise conflicting demands; able to work with team members to share, motivate and influence; creative thinker, with a ‘Can Do’ attitude; desire to use initiative and seek continuous improvement.
Thank you so much for your interest, we look forward to hearing from you.