Change currency

Empty

International Animal Rescue Saving animals from suffering around the world

Please help us care for Ashley, who has lost her mother.

Ashley was only two weeks old when her mother was killed. The little monkey was the sole survivor when three monkeys were electrocuted on an uninsulated electrical transformer in Costa Rica. Ashley’s mother was one of them.
 
A local resident in Playa Guiones raised the alarm early one morning after spotting what she thought was a dead monkey on the transformer. In fact, the monkey on the transformer was still alive, although in a dreadful state.

 The poor creature stood no chance of survival and the rescue team were forced to put her to sleep.  

When a member of the troop is in distress, other monkeys often rush to help – as Ashley’s family did. While the team were tending to the injured monkey, Ashley’s mother rushed over and was also electrocuted, with her terrified baby clinging to her back. Thankfully Ashley then slipped off, was caught by the rescue team below and wasn’t badly hurt. Using special tools the rescuers got the mother down too and immediately reunited her with her infant. 

Tragically, Ashley’s injured mother died minutes later. Her crying baby was brought to Nosara’s Refuge for Wildlife for urgent treatment and care.  

Please make a donation today to help us care for Ashley  

Ashley had only suffered minor burns but was severely traumatised by the loss of her mother. At first she missed her so much that she cried almost constantly. Now, a few

weeks on, her carers say she is comforted with a teddy bear and a hot water bottle which are used to replace the softness and warmth of her dead mother. 

Poor Ashley has had a terrible start to her life - in a few short minutes her mother was cruelly taken from her and she was left helpless and alone. Now it is up to us to provide her with all the comfort and care she needs to survive. 
 

Please send a gift today to help us care for poor little Ashley. Together we can give her the best possible chance of returning to her home in the jungle one day and starting a new life.   

 

We are pleased to say that the local electrical company (ICE) responded immediately to news of this tragic incident and insulated the transformer the following day to make it safe for wildlife. But there are still many areas in Costa Rica where uninsulated wires are a problem. The ‘Stop the Shocks’ programme is dedicated to raising funds to purchase and install wildlife protection equipment on wires and transformers in Costa Rica.